How will we talk in the future? Repost

During the National Youth Science Forum here in Canberra I was asked a couple of times about "the language of the future", usually connected to questions about language death/endangerment, globalisation and what lots of non-native speakers and language contact will "do" to English.

Actually, we've discussed these issues before - but in video format - go have a look. I believe I need to revisit those points again, there are things I'd like to add and modify, but until such a time, enjoy them videos! And as usual, the feedback box is here.

If you, like me, are a fan of dystopian sci-fi that deals with human nature and future as s species and global society, and features as a language as a way of illustration these themes, I doubt I will need to recommend these two:

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Blade Runner (1982)

But! Have you also checked out these two?

Firefly (2002-2003) 

The Expanse (2015- ongoing)

To read more about Belter talk in the Expanse, go here.

There's more to recommend in line of sci-fi shows, but these are exceptional in how they use language as a subtle cue to create the world for the viewer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Global Tree of Languages

Language family maps

My ELAN workflow for segmenting and transcription